At Home in Riverside
Click logo to learn more about this year's program.
Arlington, one of Riverside's oldest neighborhoods, retains a village character that harkens back to the community's founding in 1875. Arlington was "The city within a city" when it combined with the Riverside colony to form the 39.4-square-mile City of Riverside in 1883. The Arlington neighborhood grew with two annexations in 1961 and 1964. Magnolia Avenue forms the neighborhood's backbone, with Arlington Village at Van Buren Boulevard serving as the neighborhood's heart. Jackson Street borders the neighborhood to the east, the Riverside (91) Freeway to the south, the La Sierra neighborhood to the west and the Arlanza neighborhood to the north.
Great strides have been taken toward revitalizing this unique and historically significant neighborhood. These include the Arlington Village Beautification and Magnolia Avenue Irrigation projects improving the urban streetscape in the heart of the neighborhood. Working closely with Arlington’s active neighborhood associations, the Arlington Community Plan was adopted in 2001. The goals and policies from this plan are now a part of the General Plan 2025 and pending Magnolia Avenue Specific Plan.
Within the neighborhood, a wide variety of neighborhood oriented retail commercial uses are located along Magnolia Avenue and Van Buren Boulevard, including Lowe’s home improvement warehouse, conveniently located at Magnolia Avenue and Harrison Street (site of the former County Hospital). Immediately adjacent to the southwest of the neighborhood is the Galleria at Tyler, a regional shopping mall offering a wide range of dining and shopping opportunities including Nordstrom, P.F. Chang’s China Bistro, The Cheesecake Factory and Barnes & Noble books. Also within the neighborhood near Hole and Magnolia Avenues is County Circle, a County government complex within a campus-like setting. It is the location of County offices such as the Department of Social Services and the Department of Public Health.
The Arlington neighborhood is well served by public facilities, community parks and schools. Arlington Fire Station No. 2 located on Andrew Street near Van Buren Boulevard proudly serves the neighborhood. The Arlington Library, located at Magnolia Avenue and Roosevelt Street was recently restored and expanded to better serve the neighborhood while also preserving the original building architecture. The library, built in 1909, is a fine example of a Greek revival style building and an important historic landmark that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Residents enjoy outdoor recreation at Don Lorenzi Park and Arlington Park and Pool. Schools in the neighborhood include Liberty and Sunshine Elementary and St. Thomas the Apostle Roman Catholic School.
Council Representatives & Wards
Find Your Neighborhood