An internship is an educational work experience that allows students to put into practice what they have learned in the classroom. Interns work on temporary job assignments to gain on-the-job training and experience while still in school. Internships provide an opportunity for students to explore potential careers, obtain academic credit, and develop a professional network of contacts.
The Municipal Internship Program
Through the Municipal Internship Program, the City of Riverside provides college and university students with the opportunity to work side-by-side with City staff, learn about local government, and gain professional experience while going to school.
Benefits of an Internship Program
- For the Student:
- Enhances the student’s academic experience
- Provides valuable professional experience that will enhance the student’s skills and competence
- Offers networking and mentoring opportunities for academic and career growth
- For the organization:
- Provides a continuous source of talent, new insight and ideas
- Provides an opportunity to evaluate a candidate’s potential for permanent employment
- Improves retention rates: employees who start as interns tend to stay with a company longer than traditional hires
To learn more about the two internship programs offered by the City of Riverside, please use the links to the right .