Riverside Police Department
Salary and Benefits Police Officer
- Academy pay is $4,717 per month.
- Police Officer, starting step 1 salary $5,425
- Police Officer, top step 6 salary $ 6,924
- Lateral police officer salary determined by experience, training and education.
- 4 day work week, 10 hours a day
- Retirement for Current Members - For employees hired after 1/1/2013 who are CURRENT MEMBERS of California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) or a reciprocal agency as of 12/31/12 and have not been separated from service from such agency for six months or more, the retirement benefit shall 3% at age 50; 3 year final compensation. The required employee contribution is 9%. The City does not participate in Social Security; thus, employees do not bear this additional 6.2% expense.
- Retirement for New Members - For employees hired 1/1/2013 or later and who ARE NOT a member of the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) or a reciprocal agency as of 12/31/12, or those who have been separated from a public agency which contracts with CalPERS or a reciprocal agency for six months or more, the retirement benefit shall be 2.7% at age 57; 3 year final compensation. The required employee contribution is 9%. The City does not participate in Social Security; thus, employees do not bear this additional 6.2% expense.
- Health Insurance - The City offers seven health insurance plans and three dental plans and contributes up to $1,232 per month for employee and dependent coverage.
- Vision Insurance - The City provides vision coverage through Vision Service Plan (VSP) for employees and their dependents that are enrolled in medical coverage.
- Life Insurance - The City provides and pays for term life insurance up to $6,000.
- Deferred Compensation - The City offers optional participation in the deferred compensation plan.
- Leave Benefits - Includes vacation leave, sick leave, bereavement leave, and holiday benefits.
- Flexible Spending Account - The City offers a Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Plan for optional participation.
- Long Term Disability - Employees may enroll in the LTD plan through their employee association.
- Uniforms and Equipment supplied by the department
- 10% additional pay for Intermediate POST Certificate Pay
- 15% additional pay for Advanced POST Certificate Pay
- 3% additional pay for Motor Officers
- 3% additional pay for Bilingual Officers
- 3% additional pay for Metro Officers (full time SWAT)
- 1.5% additional pay for Collateral Metro Officers (SWAT, Snipers, and Hostage Negotiations
- Shift Differential / 5 years of service Swing Shift $288 / Graveyard $384
For additional benefits information, please visit the benefits website: www.riversideca.gov/human/benefits.
The Riverside Police Department is dedicated to hiring only those individuals who meet the highest of professional standards with a commitment to serving all members of their community with sensitivity, empathy, and impartiality.