:: Citizenship, Relationship & Id Requirements

Children under the age of 16 who are applying for a passport and their parents and/or guardians must be able to provide the following documentation:

Evidence of child’s U.S. citizenship (one of the following):
Born in U.S. Born Outside U.S.
  • Certified U.S. birth certificate or certified copy of  birth certificate
  • Previous fully valid U.S. passport
  • Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240)
  • Previous fully valid U.S. passport
  • Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization from INS
  • Certification of Birth Abroad (form DS-1350)
  • Or other evidence of first-time documentation

Evidence of child’s relationship to parents/guardian (one of the following):

Born in U.S. Born Outside U.S.
  • Certified U.S. birth certificate including parent(s) names
  • Certified foreign birth certificate including parents(s) names

  • Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240)

  • Certification of Birth Abroad (form DS-1350) with parent(s) names

  • Adoption decree including adopting parent(s) names
  • Court order establishing custody
  • Court order establishing guardianship and authority to apply for passport

Parental identification (such as one of the following):

  • Valid driver’s license
  • Valid official U.S. military ID
  • Valid government (Federal, State, local) employee ID
  • Valid U.S. or foreign passport with recognizable photo
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship from INS with recognizable photo
  • Permanent Resident Alien identification from INS

Parental Application Permission - Appearance and Signature Documentation Required:

  1. Both parents appear together and sign; or

  2. One parent appears, signs, and submits second parent’s notarized written statement consenting to passport issuance for child; or

  3. One parent appears, signs and submits primary evidence of sole authority to apply (such as one of the following):

    • Child’s certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only applying parent

    • Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (DS-1350) listing only one parent

    • Court order granting sole custody (unless child’s travel is restricted by that order)

    • Adoption decree (listing only the applying parent)

    • Court order specifically permitting applying parent’s or guardian’s travel with the child

    • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent

    • Death certificate of non-applying parent; or

  4. One parent appears, signs, and submits written statement explaining why non-applying parent's consent cannot be obtained; or

  5. Third-party in loco parentis appears with notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or custodial parent(s) authorizing the third-party to apply for passport. When the notarized statement or affidavit is from only one parent, the third-party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent.

Children’s Passport Issuance Alert program (CPIAP)

Separate from the two-parent signature requirement for U.S. passport issuance, parents may also request that their children’s names be entered in the U.S. Passport name-check system. The Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program provides:

  • Notification to parents of passport applications made on behalf of their minor children, and
  • Denial of passport issuance if appropriate court orders are on file with the CPIAP.
For more information, contact the Office of Children’s Issues at:
Tel: 1-888-407-4747, Fax: (202) 312-9743,
Important Notice
U.S. Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs Passport Services
New U.S. Passport Requirement
All Minors Must Appear in Person

On February 1, 2008, Passport Services will begin requiring the personal appearance of all minors applying for U.S. passports. This new requirement is being implemented to enhance the accurate identification of applicants and aid in the prevention of international child abduction and substitution. Separate parental relationship documentation and consent requirements continue for children under age 16.

For additional information about passport application requirements, please visit travel.state.gov or call the National Passport Information Center.

National Passport Information Center
Toll-free: 1-877-487-2778 Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Eastern Time npic@state.gov


Passport Links
City Clerk Online Documents