10 Steps for Terrorism Preparedness
The City of Riverside's Emergency Management Office is actively coordinating the City's response to disasters as well as assisting residents to prepare for major events such as earthquakes, floods, hazardous material spills, plane crashes, train derailments, Africanized honey bees, and civil unrest. For specific information on a topic, click on your area of interest i.e. earthquakes, floods, etc.
Preparing for terrorism is the same as preparing for earthquakes, fires, floods and other disasters. Follow the 10 steps below to increase your safety and survival. Remember ? Preparedness is the key. Take steps now to be prepared.
- Finding out what can happen is the first step. Determine what the possible threats are and discuss them with your family, household, or co-workers.
- Create an emergency communications plan. Be sure to include your out-of-town contact to check on each other if local telephones are jammed or out of service.
- Assemble a disaster supplies kit, in easy to carry containers, for home, for work and your car. Include a three-day supply of water, non-perishable food, a first aid kit and book, flashlights, battery-powered radio, extra batteries, fire extinguisher, tools, prescription medications, copies of important documents, duct tape, plastic sheeting, and towels to seal door cracks.
- Learn basic first aid and CPR. The American Red Cross provides training.
- Be aware of your surroundings and report any suspicious activities to local authorities.
- Know where the emergency exits, staircases, and fire extinguishers are at home, at work or when traveling, and practice emergency evacuation procedures.
- Check on the school and Day Care emergency plans for your school age children.
- Learn what to do if asked by officials to ?Shelter in Place? (remain indoors or in your car) or to ?Evacuate? (leave the hazard area).
- Be prepared to do without services you normally depend on, such as electricity, telephone, natural gas, gasoline pumps, ATM machines, and Internet transactions.
- If there is an attack or strong warnings of an attack, remain calm and follow the advice of local emergency officials. Listen to the radio (KFRG FM 95.1 is the primary emergency station in this area) or television for news and instructions.
News & Reports
|Follow us on
3401 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92501
|Mon - Fri
||8:00am - 5:00pm
|Closed on Weekends and Major Holidays
Printed from: http://riversideca.gov/fire/disasterpreparedness/steps.asp