Fire Department

Public Information

News Release
Release Date: 07/05/2013 Release Time: 2:33 PM
Contact: Mitch
Subject: Sycamore Canyon Fire 2013
Full Text:

Published: July 04, 2013; 01:31 PM
A brushfire erupted in a Riverside wilderness park Thursday, July 4, forcing firefighters into a hard-to-reach area hours before holiday fireworks threatened to spark more blazes.
At one point, the blaze drew enough resources that Riverside city officials considered canceling the traditional July 4 fireworks display. However, city leaders opted to continue with the show.
The four-alarm fire inside Sycamore Canyon Wilderness Park was reported at 12:47 p.m. and by 8:30 p.m., updated estimates had the blaze blackening 283 acres. Fire officials said it had the potential to grow to 700 acres, but projected they would have full containment by 6 p.m. Friday.
More than 180 firefighters battled the fire with two helicopters and four air tankers.
No structures were threatened and no evacuations were ordered, said Division Chief Mitch Wesche, a Riverside fire department spokesman. He said Thursday afternoon that based on current conditions and the resources on scene, firefighters were confident they could contain the fire before it threatened buildings. Structure defense units were in place in case the fire grew, Wesche said.
The fire's cause was under investigation.

Update -

Riverside firefighters expect to have full containment on the Sycamore Canyon Fire by 7:30 p.m., Friday, July 5.
The blaze in the Sycamore Canyon wilderness park in eastern Riverside charred 283 acres Thursday. By Friday morning, the fire was about 80 percent contained, Riverside fire officials said.
Firefighters will continue to canvas the blaze through Saturday morning as they snuff out any hot spots and keep embers from flaring up outside the containment line.
Two firefighters were injured during the firefight. One firefighter was hospitalized for observation Thursday and another firefighter was treated for minor injuries early Friday morning.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

Main Photo: