Alternative Fuel Vehicle Rebate Program
The Alternative Fuel Vehicle Rebate Programs is designed to encourage the purchase of alternative fuel vehicles and to increase awareness of the benefits associated with driving a clean vehicle. The program provides rebates to City of Riverside residents who purchase or lease a qualified new alternative fuel vehicle from an auto dealership within the City.
Rebates under this program are as follows:
|Vehicles eligible for rebate
||New vehicle purchase or lease
|Electric Vehicle Rebate
|Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle Rebate
|Neighborhood Electric Vehicle (NEV)
|Plug-in hybrid, hybrid, and compressed natural gas vehicles are not eligible for this program.
Applicant Eligibility Requirements
- The applicant and recipient shall be a resident of the City of Riverside.
- The applicant shall provide proof of residency in the City of Riverside at the time of application submittal.
A current utility bill or other acceptable proof of residency and a valid driver’s license shall be presented with the
application as proof of residency. The name and address in the title/bill of sale for the eligible vehicle shall match the
name and address on the utility bill and driver’s license.
- A copy of the bill of sale, all pages, shall be provided at the time of application and is subject to verification.
- Applicant must fully complete the application questionnaire and certify that the information therein is true and correct.
- Applicants will agree to complete a vehicle use survey to assist in quantifying emission reductions achieved through the vehicle purchase.
Vehicle Eligibility Requirements
- Vehicle shall be purchased or leased from a City of Riverside auto dealer authorized to do business within the City.
- Vehicle purchased must be new. This rebate does not apply to pre-owned vehicle purchases.
- Vehicles shall be fueled exclusively with electricity and/or hydrogen and be equipped exclusively with original manufacturer’s alternative fuel equipment.
- Vehicle must meet one of the following criteria:
- A battery electric vehicle: Battery electric vehicles run entirely on electricity stored in batteries and have an electric motor rather than a gasoline engine.
- A hydrogen fuel cell vehicle: Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles run entirely on hydrogen gas to power an electric motor.
- A Neighborhood Electric Vehicle (NEV) that meets all of the following
- Has four wheels.
- Can attain a speed, in one mile, of more than 20 miles per hour and not more
than 25 miles per hour, on a paved level surface.
- Has a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 3,000 pounds.
- Eligible NEVs are limited to those intended for on-road use only.
- A battery electric motorcycle: Electric motorcycles are distinguished from scooters in that motorcycles do not have a step-through frame.
- Tesla vehicles do not qualify for this rebate program because there is not a Tesla auto dealer located in the City of Riverside.
Applicants are highly encouraged to contact the Public Works Department at (951)826-5341
prior to vehicle purchase to confirm their residence is within the City of Riverside and to confirm vehicle eligibility. .
How to Apply
- Rebate applications shall be completed and submitted in person at the following address within 30 days of vehicle purchase:
City of Riverside
Public Works Department
3900 Main Street, 4th Floor
Riverside, CA 92522
- The following items must be submitted with the application:
- A copy of the bill of sale
- Valid driver’s license
- A current utility bill or other acceptable proof of residency
Issuance of Rebate
- Payment will be issued by check and mailed to the applicant’s residence.
- The City encourages participants to contact their tax advisor to determine availability of tax credits for their purchase.
- The City encourages participants to contact their tax advisor to determine any applicable personal tax liability pertaining to the rebate.
- Applicants should allow a total of four (4) to six (6) weeks for processing and delivery of the rebate.
Important Things to Know/Limitations
- Rebates will only be awarded as reimbursement for a down payment made in the form of cash or net vehicle trade-in per the following:
- Down payment shall be at least equal to or greater than the amount of the potential rebate; or
- Net vehicle trade-in value shall be at least equal to or greater than the amount of the potential rebate.
- Deferred down payments are not eligible for a reimbursement.
- Rebates are subject to fund availability and the program is subject to cancellation once funding is depleted.
- Rebates are paid on a first-come first-served basis.
- Government organizations and businesses are excluded from this program.
- Rebates are limited to one per Vehicle Identification Number
- Rebates are limited to one (1) rebate per household, per three (3) year period, as documented by the physical address of the household.
- Rebates are limited to one (1) rebate per person, per three (3) year period, as documented by their individual driver’s license number.
- City employees who live in the City of Riverside cannot obtain a double rebate for the same vehicle by meeting the eligibility requirements for both resident and employee programs.
- City employees who live in the City of Riverside cannot use both the resident and employee program to circumvent the one (1) rebate per household per three (3) year period limitation.
- City employees who live in the City of Riverside cannot use both the resident and employee program to circumvent the one (1) rebate per person per three (3) year period limitation.
- A complete rebate application shall be completed and submitted to the City of Riverside Citywide AFV Rebate Program representative within 30 days of vehicle purchase. Please call in advance to schedule an appointment to ensure expedited processing.
- Applicants are responsible for ensuring vehicle eligibility.
- The City reserves the right to modify or discontinue this program without prior notice at its discretion.
How is the program funded?
In 1990, California Assembly Bill 2766
was signed into law and the funding program described therein has since been known as the "AB 2766 program.”
AB 2766 provides for the collection of an additional $6 in motor vehicle registration fees to fund various air pollution efforts (from www.aqmd.gov
A portion of the funds collected are distributed to cities and counties, based on their percentage of population, to be used to reduce motor vehicle air pollution.