COVID-19/Coronavirus Update

Public Works

Animal Services

Effective 1/14/2022, the City Hall 4th Floor Public Works Counter, primarily serving Parking Services and Pet License customers, will be closed through the end of January 2022 due to COVID-19. Services are still available online and phone support is available at 951-826-5620.

The City of Riverside contracts with the County of Riverside to provide its animal services through the Riverside County Department of Animal Services (RCDAS).

Coyote Encounters

    Native to western North America, coyotes can now be found across our continent. Those living in southern California are predominantly brownish-gray in color and weigh 20-40 pounds (the approximate size of a Collie). Coyotes are both hunters and scavengers, meaning they will kill available prey, readily eat food thrown out by humans, and will even eat fruit that has fallen from trees. Instinctively afraid of humans, coyotes are incredibly intelligent and learn to adapt to their surroundings by becoming more aggressive and dominant if not challenged or scared.

    Please report all sightings or attacks by calling 311 or (951) 826-5311. CLICK HERE for more information.

Return to Top

Riverside City/County Animal Shelter

6851 Van Buren Blvd
Riverside, CA 92509
(951) 358-7387 (PETS)

A friendlier shelter was built on 12.5 acres on Van Buren Blvd and Clay Street in Riverside. This 64,000 sq ft facility accommodates approximately 30,000 dogs, cats, horses, hamsters and other creatures annually.
Services at the Shelter include:

  • Adoptions
  • Animal Turn-In
  • Animal Behavior Classes
  • Upkeep of Impounded Animals
  • Barking Dog Complaints
  • Rabies Reports
  • Bite Reports and Quarantines
  • Collection of Fees from Licenses
  • Collection of Fees from Leash Law Violations
  • Animal Records
  • For additional information, please contact the Department of Animal Services at (951) 358-7387.

    Return to Top

    Spay & Neutercat

    Hundreds of homeless animals come into our Riverside City/County shelters every day. Pet over population is a huge problem, but there is a solution. Please spay or neuter your animal companions!

    For more information, please call (951) 358-7373.


    “Spay-it-Forward” is a campaign focused on combating pet overpopulation in the City of Riverside and neighboring communities through subsidized spay (female) /neuter (male) services.

    Any individual who owns an unaltered Cat, Pit Bull, Pit Bull “mix”, Chihuahua, Chihuahua “mix” or any puppy or kitten under six (6) months of age, meets income qualification levels, and can prove residence in zip code 92501 or 92509 by providing a current utility bill may qualify. For more information click here.

    Please download and complete the Spay-it-Forward Application and return it to the Mary S. Roberts Pet Adoption Center via fax at (951) 359-6417, email at, or mail it to Spay-it-Forward, Mary S. Roberts Pet Adoption Center, 6165 Industrial Avenue, Riverside, CA 92504. To download the application click here English Version Spanish Version.

    Return to Top

    Lost & Found Animals

    If you have lost an animal, there are several ways you can better the chance of locating your pet. Please CLICK HERE for additional information

    Return to Top

    Noisy Animal/Barking Dog Complaint

    Many animal owners may not be aware that their animals are creating a disturbance for their neighbors. That’s why we have implemented a multi-phase approach to dealing with noisy animal complaints. Full information on this process can be found below in the Noisy Animal Complaint Packet.

    Complaints can be reported to the City of Riverside's Call Center at 311 or (951) 826-5311, or by contacting the County's Department of Animal Services at (951) 358-7387. Callers will need to know the exact address of the noisy animal.

  • Noisy Animal Complaint Packet
  • Barking Dog Flyer
  • Return to Top

    Kennel and Cattery Permits

    Anyone who keeps 5 or more dogs, 10 or more cats, or more than 10 dogs and cats in any combination per dwelling unit or business establishment is required to obtain a Kennel or Cattery permit.

    Return to Top

    Additional Information

    Return to Top

    raincross orange footer
    City of Riverside Logo 30x30 City of Riverside  |  Explore Riverside  |  At Home in Riverside  |  Seizing Our Destiny

    Font size:

    A A A
    Stop the Hacker
    Copyright © 2015 City of Riverside | Accessibility Policy | Website Disclaimer | Privacy and Security Policy
    Facebook: Like the City of Riverside LinkedIn Twitter YouTube: Subscribe to the City of Riverside RSS: Stay up-to-date with the latest news from the City of Riverside GovDelivery: Receive email alerts from the City of Riverside  RiversideTV Icon
    Printed from: