Riverside Police Department Press Release


For Immediate Release

Date Tuesday, October 10, 2006
Contact Steven Frasher, Press Information Officer
Phone (951) 826-5147

Officer Involved Shooting - Update

Riverside, Ca- The Riverside Police Department investigation into the officer-involved shooting death of a robbery suspect on Sunday, October 8, 2006, continues. The suspect, identified by the Riverside County Coroner as Douglas Steven Cloud, 27, of Riverside, died at the scene. Autopsy results are pending.

The incident began Sunday, October 8, 2006, while a Riverside Police Officer was at the Home Depot store located at Madison Street and Indiana Avenue in Riverside on an unrelated shoplifting investigation. The officer was flagged down by passers-by reference a strong-arm robbery underway near the store entrance.

According to witnesses, the suspect, identified as Cloud, stole merchandise from the store. When Cloud tried to leave, a store loss prevention employee and some customers tried to stop him. A struggle ensued at his vehicle. The driver’s side window of the suspect vehicle was broken out during the struggle.

At about 4:18 p.m., Cloud escaped in his car and sped away from the store, nearly striking at least one person in the parking lot. One of the intervening civilians was pushed to the ground during the confrontation and would have been run over, had others nearby not pulled the man out of the vehicle’s path, witnesses said. Via police radio, the officer on scene broadcast the suspect and vehicle description.

Cloud fled at a high rate of speed westbound on Indiana and lost control of his car while passing Jefferson. The 1984 Toyota Celica that Cloud was driving spun out of control and crashed into a small palm tree and a parked pick-up truck on the north side of Indiana at Detroit Drive.

One two-officer police unit was en route to the call at Home Depot when the officers spotted the accident and recognized the car as the reported suspect from the robbery call. Another single-officer car also arrived within one minute of the collision. The suspect was still in the car with the engine apparently still running. Four additional officers, a total of seven, were in the general area of the vehicle scene at the time of the incident.

According to the initial investigation, three officers approached the suspect vehicle with their guns drawn. When Cloud failed to follow the officers’ orders, two officers covered a third officer as he tried to physically remove Cloud through the open driver’s side window. During the struggle, the suspect refused to let go of the steering wheel and vehicle console. The officer dragged Cloud some way out of the window before Cloud pulled away, returned to the driver’s seat and depressed the accelerator to a high rate of rpm.

Due to the vehicle’s position following the collision, the drive wheels were not gaining traction but were spinning and spewing a plume of dirt, debris and smoke while Cloud turned the steering wheel from side to side in an apparent attempt to gain traction and escape.

Officers told investigators they feared the vehicle would strike one or more of them if it gained traction, and that the suspect repeatedly reached for the center console of the vehicle.

According to the initial investigation, one officer fired four times; a second officer fired once. The suspect was struck in the upper torso. American Medical Response and Riverside Fire Department personnel were immediately summoned and the suspect was pronounced deceased at the scene.

Crime scenes were established at both the Home Depot location and the Indiana Avenue collision and shooting location.

There was no weapon seen at either crime scene. The vehicle contained no weapon when it was fully searched by investigators on Tuesday, October 10.

None of the officers were injured in the incident. The officers who discharged their firearms were placed on administrative leave, in accordance with department policy.

Anyone with information related to this incident is urged to call Detective Dave Smith at (951) 353-7103 or Detective Greg Rowe at (951) 353-7136.