COVID-19/Coronavirus Update

Streets Services

Streets Services


The Public Works Street Services Division is responsible for weed abatement on non-landscaped city property.

The Public Works Landscape Division is responsible for weed inspection and mitigation activities on landscaped medians and public rights-of-way not bordering a residence.

The Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department is responsible for mitigating weeds in city parks.

Weed AbatementWeeds on private property, in right-of-way areas bordering a residence and in the alleys from the back of the resident’s property to the center line of the alley are the responsibility of the property owner.  The Code Enforcement Division is responsible for enforcement of city regulations. 

Riverside Municipal Code Section 10.16-Traffic Control Devices

Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I call to report overgrown vegetation?

Contact the 311 Call Center to report overgrown grass, weeds, bushes, shrubs or trees. Please be prepared to give specific information on the location of the problem so the information can be given to the correct Department/Division.

Return to Top

There are weeds growing on the sidewalk and at the cul-de-sac on my street. Who is responsible for these areas?

Typically the property owner is responsible for weeds in these locations. Weeds growing on the sidewalk or in the right-of-way between the sidewalk and the curb are the property owner's responsibility. The responsibility is shared between the two owners at the end of the cul-de-sac with the division being the center.

For concerns about weeds on private property contact the 311 Call Center to request Code Enforcement Division action if necessary.

For weeds on state, federal or county property contact the appropriate agency to report the concerns. For weeds on Cal-Trans property contact Cal-Trans at (909) 383-4631. For weeds on railroad rights-of-way contact Burlington, BNSF or Union Pacific. For weeds on schools, contact the school district responsible for the school.

Return to Top

The cracks in the street have weeds growing out of them. Can I call to have them removed?

No. The city does not treat weeds in the street.

Return to Top

General Information
3900 Main Street - 4th Floor
Riverside, CA 92522

Phone: (951) 826-5800

Monday - Friday 7:30am - 5:30pm
Closed Major Holidays
Our Mission
The City of Riverside Public Works Department enhances the quality of life for city residents and businesses by operating and maintaining the city’s street, trees, landscape, wastewater, storm drain and refuse systems in the most effective, efficient and responsible manner.
raincross orange footer
City of Riverside Logo 30x30 City of Riverside  |  Explore Riverside  |  At Home in Riverside  |  Seizing Our Destiny

Font size:

Stop the Hacker
Copyright © 2015 City of Riverside | Accessibility Policy | Website Disclaimer | Privacy and Security Policy
Facebook: Like the City of Riverside LinkedIn Twitter YouTube: Subscribe to the City of Riverside RSS: Stay up-to-date with the latest news from the City of Riverside GovDelivery: Receive email alerts from the City of Riverside  RiversideTV Icon
Printed from: