The mission of the City of Riverside Fire Department Explorer Post 101 is to provide education, training, and a strong positive work ethic to further prepare Fire Explorer Cadets for a career in the Fire Service.
The Explorer program is designed to build character and develop leadership skills that will help Explorers as they advance within the Post and prepare for academies as well as other career opportunities.
By participating in the Fire Explorer Program, the individual will gain personal confidence, learn to use firefighting equipment, develop mechanical skills, and increase their physical fitness level as well as their knowledge of the Fire Service.
The Post's Advisory staff is made up of current and retired City of Riverside Fire Department personnel who volunteer their time to participate in the program. If you are interested in the program or have questions concerning the recruitment process, please feel free to email the Post Advisors. The Post Advisors will be happy to give you a tour of the Training Facility and answer any of your questions.
Fire Explorer Requirements
- Be of ages 14 to 21
- Complete the Application Packet which is turned in on Wednesday’s recruitment night
- Payment of $200 upon passing the recruitment process
- Have no serious arrests or convictions
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA and provide a copy of most recent grade report
- Must be able to arrange transportation to the weekly meetings and or events
- Be free of any physical defects that could cause injury to themselves or others
- Must present themselves with fire service grooming standards
- Pass the Written Exam which is given on Wednesday’s recruitment night
- Pass the Physical Ability Test which is given on the Saturday after recruitment
Next Recruitment Night & Written Exam
Only Completed Application Packets Will Be Accepted!
Report behind the Emergency Operations Center
3085 St. Lawrence Street off Lincoln Ave
Fire Training Tower
Fire Explorer Recruitment will be on:
Wednesday, September 14, 2022
Fire Training Tower
The Written Exam
The Written Exam is based on the California High School Exit Examination (CAHSEE) The Written Exam consist of reading comprehension, spelling/grammar, math, with a few questions pertaining to Post 101, Learning for Life, and the Department. Below are four websites that you can review to help prepare for the exam.
The Candidates Physical Abilities Test (CPAT)
The nine CPAT events will be demonstrated during Wednesdays’ recruitment night.
- Start Run: Run from the Tower Gate
- 100’ Hose Drag: starts in a pile on ground behind a line. Take a coupling and run with the hose until it is completely extended then drag the hose to the other line. Turn around and pull the hose hand over hand from fully extended into a pile keeping all hose behind the line. Repeat to return the hose to the starting position.
- Equipment Carry: Grasp TWO equipment items, (jugs, weights) one in each hand. With straight arms, carry 50’ to a marker. Turn around and return to the starting point.
- Sledge Hammer: Swing sledge hammer at 50 % strength striking the oversized tire. 15 repetitions right & left handed for a total of 30.
- Dummy Drag: 2 cones are set at 35’ apart. Dummy Drag from the starting cone. Proceed to the next cone and move the Dummy around the cone. Then Dummy drag back to the starting location.
- Hydrant Cap: Remove and replace the 4” hydrant cap.
- Tower Climb: with a 2 ½” Hose Bundle, climb the Exterior stairwell at a consistent and steady pace to the 4th floor. Exit and descend from the Interior stairwell.
- Pike Pole Simulation: Simulate a Pike Pole by utilizing a weight bar. Thrust the weight bar up for 15 repetitions right & left handed for a total of 30.
- Finish Run: To the Tower Gate
Explorer Post 101 Advisors:
Tim Odebralski | TOdebralski@RiversideCA.gov