City of Riverside Encourages Residents to Participate in Memorial Day Activities
RIVERSIDE, Calif. – Riverside residents have multiple opportunities to participate in activities honoring veterans this Memorial Day weekend.
- A freeway sign honoring Medal of Honor recipients Staff Sergeant Salvador J. Lara, Staff Sergeant Ysmael Villegas, and Specialist Jesus S. Duran will be dedicated at 10 a.m. Friday at Villegas Park, 3091 Esperanza Street. Mayor Rusty Bailey and City Councilmember Paul Davis will speak.
- Echoes of Veterans,” presented by the Riverside County Mexican American Historical Society, is scheduled for 10 a.m. to noon Saturday in the breezeway of City Hall, 3900 Main Street in downtown Riverside. Attendees will hear from the Salute to Veterans Parade Committee and Congressman Mark Takano, and be able to visit the “Tables of Knowledge” to learn about famous veterans and veteran organizations in Riverside County.
- Third Annual Ruck Challenge 10k walk/run is 6 a.m. Sunday at American Legion Hall 79 in Fairmount Park, 2979 Dexter Drive in downtown Riverside. Entry fee is $35 for individuals and $140 for a team of as many as six people. Information is available at www.theruckchallenge.com or 909-518-4951.
- West Coast Thunder motorcycle ride Monday to benefit the Riverside National Cemetery Support Committee. The ride starts at Riverside Harley-Davidson, 7688 Indiana Avenue, and continues through portions of northeast Riverside to the Soboba Casino in San Jacinto. Registration starts at 6 a.m. and the ride departs at 9:11 a.m. from Riverside Harley-Davidson. Additional information can be found at http://www.westcoastthunder.com/
- Memorial Day ceremonies at Riverside National Cemetery are at 10 a.m. Monday at the cemetery, 22495 Van Buren Boulevard.