Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Operation Nets 29 Citations
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 27, 2019
Officer Ryan J. Railsback
Public Information Officer
Community Services Bureau
(951) 373-6032 (Media Contact)
COMMERCIAL VEHICLE ENFORCEMENT OPERATION NETS 29 CITATIONS
RIVERSIDE, CA – On Tuesday, February 26, 2019, the Riverside Police Department’s Traffic Bureau conducted a commercial vehicle enforcement operation along Alessandro Boulevard, Iowa Avenue, and the north end of Main Street, within the city of Riverside. The focus was to ensure the safe and efficient operation of commercial vehicles as they travel on city roadways. Officers not only enforced the state vehicle code, but also the local ordinance restricting vehicles exceeding three axles at any time upon specific streets in Riverside.
Officers made 31 traffic stops and issued 31 citations during the operation that took place between 7:00 am and 6:00 p.m. 20 of those citations were issued along Iowa Ave., 6 along Alessandro Blvd., and 3 along Main St.
The Riverside Police Department’s Traffic Bureau will continue similar enforcement programs to help maintain the safety of the motoring public within our community.
THE GOALS OF YESTERDAY’S OPERATION WERE:
- The prevention of collisions and incidents attributed to mechanical defects or excessive driving hours involving vehicles and drivers subject to California Vehicle Code section 34500.
- The prevention of incidents and catastrophes during, or as a result of, hazardous materials transportation.
- Enforcement of the various commercial vehicle safety regulations in California and those nationally adopted laws and rules applicable to commercial vehicle operation.
- Ensure the safety of the motoring public by enforcing the Riverside Municipal Code which is intended to keep large commercial vehicles off roadways where traffic is heavy.
- Minimize damage to city roadways by operating mobile enforcement units which will enforce commercial vehicle weight regulations.
- Educating commercial vehicle operators, the motor carrier industry, and the public so as to promote commercial vehicle safety.
Section 10.56.050 of the Riverside Municipal Code (RMC) states “When signs are erected giving notice thereof, no person shall operate any commercial vehicle exceeding three (3) axles at any time upon the streets or parts of streets listed below, except that such vehicle may be operated thereon for the purpose of delivering or picking up materials or merchandise or the performance of services in connections with and in aid of a property in the block, and then only by entering such street at the intersection nearest the destination of the vehicle and proceeding thereon no farther than the nearest intersection thereafter.”
THE CITY ROADWAYS COVERED UNDER THIS RMC SECTION ARE:
- Alessandro Boulevard between Central Avenue and Trautwein Road
- Arlington Avenue between Horace Street and Chicago Avenue
- Central Avenue between Fremont Street and Brockton Avenue
- Central Avenue between Alessandro Boulevard and State Route 91
- Chicago Avenue between Arlington Avenue and Central Avenue
- Iowa Avenue between Spruce Street and Blaine Street
- Jurupa Avenue between Fremont Street and Brockton Avenue
- Main Street between Columbia Avenue and the SR-60 Freeway