Riverside Police and Fire Departments to Assist in Upcoming Summer S.T.E.M. Academy for Local High School Students
RIVERSIDE, CA - This week, the Science and Technology Education Partnership (STEP) announced an interactive program that will immerse 120 Riverside high school students, who were pre-selected, in the application of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) in Law Enforcement and Public Safety (LEAPS). This program will provide intensive, hands-on STEM training through experiential learning. Students will spend one week with the Riverside Police Department, and one week with the Riverside Fire Department. Members of the Police and Fire
Department will provide instruction and hands-on training to students in various areas where STEM concepts are applied within public safety. At the completion of each week students will develop and present their innovative STEM LEAPS Projects.
The program curriculum will include:
- Simulated detection and neutralization of bombs and hazardous materials
RIVERSIDE POLICE DEPARTMENT | 4102 Orange Street, Riverside, CA 92501 | Phone: (951) 826-5700
RIVERSIDE FIRE DEPARTMENT | 3401 University Avenue, Riverside, CA 92501 | Phone: (951) 826-5321
- Application of scientific methods to manage, collect and analyze crime scene data including fingerprints and blood samples
- Recovery and investigation of material found in digital devices
- FEMA CERT, Certification in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search & rescue and disaster medical operations.
- Vehicle Extrication & Jaws of Life demonstration
- Hazardous Materials Response and Mitigation
- Construction and coding of robots
- Developing mobile apps to assist in emergency situations
- Crime scene forensic analysis
- Developing a website for law enforcement and public safety
- Arson/Fire Investigation
- Paramedic & Critical Care Transport - American Medical Response (AMR)
The program will focus on Police Department Careers July 24 – 28 and Fire Department Careers August 14 – 18.
“A major goal for the STEM LEAPS Learning Labs is that many more of our local students will graduate from college with STEM degrees and then be employed by the Riverside Police Department, Riverside Fire Department, and other local law enforcement and public safety organizations,” said Gordon Bourns, Chairman and CEO of Bourns, Inc.