Riverside Police Department

Get My Property

Property Unit

The Police Property Unit is open to the public Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, contact the Riverside Police Department Property Unit at (951) 353-7650 for release information and appointments.
Found property is held for a period of 90 days. If the property is unable to be returned to the rightful owner, it may be offered back to the finder. The Police Property Unit will mail a letter to the finder. A response must be received within 15 days from the date on the letter in order for the finder to be able to claim the property. Note: Property that is contraband or evidence in an ongoing investigation may be held indefinitely.
Property held for “safekeeping” will be held for a period of at least 60 days. Firearms held for “safekeeping” are an exception.
Firearms held for “safekeeping” or evidence as a result of a family problem, a violent crime or potentially violent crime or mental health issue has special requirements for release. In those cases where the Police Department has confiscated a firearm(s) or other deadly weapon(s) and placed it into custody pursuant to Penal Code § 18250, a petition may be initiated in the Superior Court within 60 days of seizure to determine whether the firearm(s) or other deadly weapon(s) should be returned. A petition may be filed to extend the time to 90 days if necessary.

If a person claims title to a firearm(s) or other deadly weapon(s), an Authorization for Release must be obtained by the Riverside Police Case Agent or the Riverside City Attorney’s Office. For additional information on the firearm release process, contact the Property Unit at (951) 353-7650.
A. In felony arrest cases: Evidence items will be held for a minimum of 60 days from the date of final disposition. If the owner does not claim the items at that time, they may be disposed of or destroyed in the manner prescribed by law.

B. In misdemeanor arrest cases: Evidence will be held for 30 days from the date of sentencing and then items will be disposed of or destroyed in the manner prescribed by law.

C. If no arrest has been made and/or no suspect identified: Evidence items may be held up to one year or longer depending on the status of the case.
Yes. However, the person picking up the property must possess an original signed and dated “Letter of Permission” from the property owner, stating that they have been granted permission to retrieve the owner’s property. The person should also have the police report number and a valid picture identification in the form of a California Driver’s License, a California Identification Card, or a Passport.

If the property owner is incarcerated, the “Letter of Permission” must be mailed directly from the correctional facility to the Riverside Police Department Property Unit at the Magnolia Station. The mailing address is as follows:

Riverside Police Department
Attn: Property Unit
10540 Magnolia Avenue, Ste. B
Riverside, CA 92505

Example of “Letter of Permission”

Today’s Date

Riverside Police Property Unit,

My name is John Smith. I am currently unable to retrieve my property under police report number P302001002 due to being hospitalized, incarcerated, etc. I give permission for my mother, Jane Smith, to retrieve my property from the Riverside Police Property Unit.

If a citizen feels their property has been wrongly released or destroyed, the citizen may contact the Riverside City Clerk’s Office at (951) 826-5557. Upon notification, the City Clerk’s Office will provide the necessary paperwork to file a claim against the City of Riverside. Once the paperwork has been completed, the citizen must return the paperwork to the City Clerk’s Office for filing. Afterward, a Claims Adjuster may contact the citizen in regard to the claim.
All unclaimed property and evidence are sold through an online auction at PropertyRoom.com. The proceeds from the auction are deposited into the City of Riverside’s general fund.
Contact the detective in charge of your case and obtain authorization for the photographs to be released. For additional questions, contact the Department at (951) 826-5700.
Once you have obtained photograph release authorization from the detective in charge of your case, the cost to purchase a CD with images from digital source will be $12.45. If you have a subpoena from the court to obtain photographs related to your subpoena, then the cost for a CD with images from digital source will be $13.65.