Human Resources


See below for answers to your frequently asked questions regarding workers' compensation.

Tell your supervisor right away. Complete the first aid form if you do not wish to receive medical treatment at the time. Complete the claim form if you need medical treatment. You will be referred to the nearest industrial clinic. If it's a medical emergency go to the nearest emergency room right away.

If the treating physician takes you off work you are entitled to salary continuance benefits. Safety Officers receive 100% of their salary for up to 1 year. All other employees receive 80% of their salary for up to 1 year. These benefits are not taxable. After the year of salary continuance the rate would be 2/3 of your salary up to a maximum of $490.00 per week.

The City of Riverside is Self-Insured. It is administered by the Workers' Compensation Division within the Human Resources Department at 3900 Main Street, Riverside, California 92522.

The claims administrator may delay your claim for up to 90 days. Within one working day after an employee files a claim form, the employer shall authorize the provision of all treatment, consistent with the applicable treating guidelines, for the alleged injury and shall continue to provide treatment until the date that liability for the claim is accepted or rejected. Until the date the claim is accepted or rejected, liability for medical treatment shall be limited to ten thousand dollars ($10,000).

Your treating doctor is responsible for telling the employer what restrictions you need during your recovery. The City of Riverside has a light duty policy and will place you in your department or elsewhere in the city where there is available work within your restrictions. You will receive your regular pay while on a light duty assignment.

Call the claims administrator and they will help you change physicians.

The City of Riverside will attempt to find a modified or alternate position within the city whenever possible.

You may contact the Workers' Compensation Office of the City of Riverside at 951-826-5559 or you may also contact the free information and assistance office of the Workers' Compensation Appeals Board. Their address is 3737 Main St. Riverside. Their phone number is 951-782-4347.