Riverside Public Utilities (RPU) now offers customers an opportunity to charge their electric vehicles (EV) using a separate meter provided by the Utility. All customers in single-family dwelling units served under the standard domestic rate are eligible.
Step 1: Application and Eligibility for Service
Customers must complete an application and attach the following:
- Proof of ownership of all-electric vehicle(s). Choose one of the following acceptable documents:
- Car Registration
- Loan Documents
- Sales Receipt
- Insurance Card with Vehicle Make and Model
- Proof of ownership of Level 2 (240v) car charger. Choose one of the following acceptable documents:
- Paid in Full Receipt
- Installation Receipt
- Proof of Installation
- Copy of latest RPU utility bill to verify that service location (Cannot be on D-TOU rate)
- Signed EV Rate Application acknowledging rates, special conditions, installation fees, and terms of service. View rate schedule for EV (Separately Metered) PDF
Applications should be e-mailed to [email protected]
Step 2: Meter Shop Pre-Inspection
After completion of the EV Rate Application, an RPU Meter Technician will be dispatched to perform a visual inspection of your electric service panel. The following conditions must be met to move forward with the Electric Vehicle Charger Meter Adapter:
- Panel must have modern circuit breakers - no push-matic style breakers or fuses
- Panel must have all original covers including dead front cover on circuit breakers section
- Panel must have main breaker
- All breakers must operate properly - will reset if turned off or "exercised"
- Panel must be original without any modifications
- All busing and conductors shall be free of arc marks and burned areas
- Meter jaws must be in good repair and pass a jaw tension test
- Panel cover shall have a meter ring and must accept a meter lock ring
- Panel must be located where an 8” deep meter and adapter combination will not be an obstruction or hazard
- Panel must be 200 Amp maximum
Upon successful completion of the electric service panel visual inspection, you will be provided with a completion certificate to take with you to the One Stop Shop to obtain your permit.
Step 3: Get a Permit and Pay Fees
After successful completion of the electric panel visual inspection, a customer will need to prepare their home for installation of the Generation Meter Adapter.
Customer must complete the following steps in order:
- Hire a licensed electrical contractor to perform all necessary electrical work to prepare their home for the Electric Vehicle Meter Adapter.
- Review installation documentation with their electrical contractor
- Gather and prepare documentation to apply for a permit at the City’s One Stop Shop.
- Approved Electric Meter Shop Visual Inspection Form
- Your EV charger installation guide and specification sheet along with listings
- A site plan to scale that includes: project address, property owner information, a detailed scope of work, depicts all property lines and the building footprint of the house and garage, shows the existing electrical service location and all proposed work.
- Apply for a permit at the City’s One Stop Shop and pay costs for Electric Vehicle Meter Adapter installation
- Existing 240v Outlet – $100.00**
- New 240v Outlet - $127.00**
- Adapter - $400.00
- Conduit, Wiring, Fittings, and Straps - $75.00
- Installation Labor $200.00
- Complete the work necessary to prepare for the electric vehicle meter adapter and call (951) 826-5361 for a final building inspection.
- After the final building inspection is successfully completed, an RPU Meter Technician will install the Electric Vehicle Meter Adapter
*All fees payable upon issuance of building permit
**Price may vary
Applications should be e-mailed to [email protected]
Step 4: Take advantage of RPU EV Rebates
After installation of the Electric Vehicle Meter Adapter, be sure to take advantage of the following incentive(s):
Time-of-Use EV Rate Meter Rebate
RPU customers have an opportunity to charge their electric vehicles using a separate Time-of-Use (TOU) meter provided by RPU. Eligible customers can receive up to a $805 rebate to cover the cost of the EV meter adapter installation.
Submit Required Documents for Eligibility:
- A photo of the installed EV charger
- A copy of the Building/Electrical Inspection Sign Off that is provided by the Riverside Building Inspector after the charging station has been installed and inspected
- A photo of the serial number on the charger
- One Stop Shop Receipt
- All charging station purchase and installation receipts
Copies of required documents can be submitted by:
Riverside Public Utilities Customer Resource Center
ATTN: EV Rebate
3025 Madison St. Riverside, CA 92504
- Drop Box
Downtown Customer Payment Center
Casa Blanca Customer Resource Center
Upon approval, your rebate check will arrive by mail in 6 to 8 weeks.
If you haven’t already done so, be sure to submit application and required documents for the EV Level 2 Residential Charger Rebate. Learn more about Electric Vehicles and other EV Rebates available here.
*Rebate program is subject to all general program guidelines and offer is on a first-come, first served basis and is effective until funding is expended, or the program is discontinued.